Easy Chicken Chile Rellenos
By Ilene Yalen, MSRD
Adding the phytochemical, capsaicin from hot chiles to your diet can have many health benefits. It’s also high in nutrients and very low in calories. Chile Rellenos offers a low sodium, easy way to add flavor and nutrients to your dish.
Downloadable PDF: EasyChickenChileRellenosRecipe_WellAmerica
Mild, medium or hot, chiles offer a healthy way to add flavor and nutrients with very little calories. A perfect addition to any healthy diet plan.
2 pounds large roasted and peeled fresh green chiles (poblano or Anaheim), or you can use canned whole green chiles
5 large egg whites
1 pound of shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken works well)
8 ounces of white shredded cheese (such as Monterey Jack or Muenster)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- If making chiles from scratch, roast the chiles on a hot grill or under a broiler on high heat. Use tongs to turn them occasionally, roasting until the skins are blackened and charred.
- Let the chiles cool, peel the skin. You can freeze them at this point if you make a large batch.
- Cut off the chile stems, slice them down one side and scoop out the seeds. The seeds are the hottest part.
- Lay chiles flat in a sprayed 9×12 baking dish and cover the entire bottom.
- Shred chicken and layer over the chiles.
- Sprinkle 4 ounces of cheese over chicken
- Repeat layering of chiles, chicken and cheese.
- Using a fork, mix the egg whites until frothy. Pour over the casserole.
- Serve theses delicious Chile Rellenos immediately with rice or beans.
Ilene Yalen is the Registered Dietitian working with WellAmerica to help promote health and well being.